cwmbwergwm
Industrial Wales - Monmouthshire's Eastern Valley
The Cwm Nant Ddu Valley
From Gypsy Lane to Blaenserchan
Search the site here

The Industrial Archaeology and History of the Eastern Valley

Click on the link to go to :-     Oakfield and Henllys     Cwmbran     Pontypool     Blaendare
The Glyn Valley     Tirpentws and Cwmffrwdoer     Blaenserchan and Cwmnantddu
Abersychan and Cwmbergwm     The British and Big Arch     Talywain and Varteg
    Blaenavon Town     Forgeside to Waunavon     The Blorenge and Pwlldu

Or click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Gyspy Lane to Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid

Quick links to :-     Gypsy Lane, Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid     Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn     Llanerch Colliery
Blaenserchan Colliery     Blaenserchan Colliery demolition     Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu

Gyspy Lane, The 'Robin Hood' and Morrison's Pit

Graig-ddu Brickworks - SO 2542 0205

Graig-ddu Brickworks was an old-established brickworks, the National Archives have records from 1832 to 1907. It is mentioned in 1858 as the Graigddu Brick Co and around 1895 Southwood Jones, of the Danygraig brickworks in Risca, took over the operation. It was disused by 1962

Pen-rhiw-fid Quarry - SO 2506 0146


Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn

Quick links to :-     Gypsy Lane, Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid     Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn     Llanerch Colliery
Blaenserchan Colliery     Blaenserchan Colliery demolition     Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu

Greenland Colliery

Pistyll Gwyn


Llanerch Colliery

Quick links to :-     Gypsy Lane, Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid     Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn     Llanerch Colliery
Blaenserchan Colliery     Blaenserchan Colliery demolition     Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu

Llanerch Colliery - SO 2520 0240

Llanerch tramroad level

Some months ago the gate to one of the Llanerch levels was found open. It wasn't very long but it did contain a well-preserved length of tramroad and other interesting features.


Blaenserchan Colliery

Quick links to :-     Gypsy Lane, Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid     Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn     Llanerch Colliery
Blaenserchan Colliery     Blaenserchan Colliery demolition     Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu

Blaenserchan Colliery - SO 2440 0210

Blaenserchan Colliery was opened with one shaft in 1890 by Partridge, Jones & Co, using Llanerch Colliery as the ventilation shaft. The colliery was deepened in 1899 and a second shaft sunk in 1913. The colliery sat at the head of a narrow valley and was served by a GWR branch from Pontnewynydd and the colliery's own branch from Talywain and Big Arch in Abersychan. The Talywain line was used to transport both coal and colliers to and from Big Arch. Coal windng ceased in 1969 when an underground link to Tirpentwys and Hafodyrynys was established. In 1977 the output was transferred underground to Abertllery New Mine. Blaenserchan Colliery closed in 1985 and was demolished between March and May 1988

Anthony Boucher was on hand to capture the demolition of the colliery in 1988. His photos have their own page here :-



Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu

Quick links to :-     Gypsy Lane, Graig Ddu and Pen-rhiw-fid     Greenland and Pistyll Gwyn     Llanerch Colliery
Blaenserchan Colliery     Blaenserchan Colliery demolition     Travellers Rest and Blaen Nant Ddu


Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

Many thanks for the use of their photographs to :- Lawrence Skuse, Dennis Hopkins


A Guide to the Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins