cwmbwergwm
Industrial Wales - Monmouthshire
Newport City Centre
along the River Usk through the City Centre
Search the site here

The Industrial Archaeology and History of Newport City and Rural Monmouthshire

Click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.


The West bank of the River Usk

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

from Mill Street to the docks

Baltic Oil Works and the Old Town Dock - ST 3211 8680

This warehouse was constructed c1844 on the western side of the Old Town Dock; the cast-iron may have been supplied by Homfray from his Tredegar Ironworks. The building was used by Morris and Dibble, oil, grease and colour merchants from 1889 - 1970's. The Old Town Dock opened in 1842, closed in 1929 and was infilled in 1932.

Black Clawson Factory - ST 3234 8694

The old 'Black Clawson' factory on East Dock Road was demolished soon after 2006. The site was originally the 'Cambrian Iron Pipe Foundry' and the 'Westgate Iron Works'

Castle Street, Pill - ST 3190 8676

In the early 1970s Risca Museum found this run of tramroad sleepers on Castle Street behind the Uskside Iron Works, possibly a branch of the Sirhowy Tramroad.


Transporter Bridge open day - August 2016

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

The bridge itself, built in 1906, and the fantastic views from the top


Western Newport

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

Allt-yr-yn, Maesglas, Malpas and Mendelgief

Allt-yr-yn brickworks - ST 2904 8861

Unfortunately the Allt-yr-yn brickworks site has been completely cleared but here are some notes on its history :-
Kelly’s for 1895 lists the 'Alteryn Brick Co; works Alteryn, Newport'. In the 1906 Kelly’s, it had become the “Alteryn Brick, Tile & Terracotta Co Ltd” and the Directory of Quarries (DOQ) for 1937 and 1941-2 lists the 'New Alteryn Brick Co, Alteryn, Newport', the last reference to this company. Post war, it was absorbed into the Star Brick & Tile empire. According to the 'Star' records it was previously Davies and Co, acquired c1931. The London Gazette records that the 'New Alteryn Company' was put into voluntary liquidation in 1931, presumably as a result of the acquisition of the works by the Star Group. I assume that, in 'Star' days, their bricks were just stamped 'Star Newport' and its variations.

Malpas flood prevention scheme

An odd building at ST 2982 0990 is likely to be a gauge house connected with the flood prevention system that was created in the 1950s. The 'Ransomes and Rapier' floodgate at ST 3008 9035, built in 1962 is no longer in use.

Stow Hill to Maesglas

Newport's Mendelgief branch resurrected!

From once being a primary link to the Monmouthshire Railway at Dock Street, the Mendalgief branch shrank and shrank until, by December 2005, it was just the derelict siding for Whiteheads steelworks. Then, surprise! surprise! in April 2006 having taken up the old line, they laid a new double track loop to act as a headshunt for the Newport Docks branch.


Newport Station

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

The East bank of the River Usk

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

East Bank industrial branch from GWR main line

Spittles Wharf and Foundry - ST 3157 8806


Eastern Newport

Quick links to :-     West Bank of the Usk     Transporter Bridge     Western Newport
Newport Station     East Bank of the Usk     Eastern Newport

Eastern Newport from the air

Two aerial photos of Eastern Newport, courtesy of Stephen Berry, the first looks Westward over Beechwood Park in the 1920s and the second looks Northwards between the Uskmouth branch and Nash Road in the 1960s.

Archibald Street subway from Soho Street

Soho Street was the site of Alexander Pottery (b1888 - c1939), a brickworks (c1880), a refuse destructor and corporation yard (c1920 to date), A Royal Ordnance Factory (1939 - 1945) and Standard Telephones. A coal yard next door in Phillip Street survived from before the 1880s to the 1960s. At the Archibald Street end of the subway stood Pells sweet factory.

Bishpool Brick and Tile Co - ST 3438 8844

There was a 'Bishpool' brick in our garden in Morden Road, Newport, built in 1897. I'd not heard of this brickworks so... This obscure brickworks seems to have started up in the mid 1880s and was liquidated in 1909. It seems to have missed all the OS maps but on the 1920 map there is an 'old clay pit' marked beside what is now 'Ringwood Hill' which could just be the site of this brickworks.


Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

Thanks to Ian Pickford, Trefor Puw, Richard Paterson, Old Frechevillian for adding to the various brickworks sections.

A Guide to the Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins